We use laboratory and nutritional testing to find out the underlying causes of the symptoms you are experiencing. Then we make an individualized program to correct the imbalances and deficiencies.
This might consist of medications, supplements, weight loss and diet programs, or natural pain management consisting of acupuncture and frequency specific micro-current, depending on what you need. The power is in the in the accuracy of the testing and the combination of traditional and holistic approaches.
If you have existing health challenges, we look to identify and treat underlying issues that may be contributing to the severity of your condition. These may include:
- Environmental factors (e.g. toxic exposure or heavy metal overload)
- Lifestyle factors (e.g. stress, overweight)
- Hormonal imbalances (e.g. Insulin resistance, menopausal symptoms, adrenal fatigue)
- Dietary factors (e.g. food allergies, nutritional deficiencies, candida or fungal infections, gluten intolerance)
- Subclinical infections (e.g. tooth and gum disease, dysbiosis)
- Other aggravating circumstances (e.g. inflammation, side effects of medications)
These can lead to compromises in the immune system and difficulties eliminating toxic substances from the body. Over time, these deficiencies and imbalances, in association with a person’s own genetic uniqueness, can lead to disease.
Some specific comprehensive laboratory tests we may do may include:
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
A test of the bowel terrain. A stool sample is sent to the lab and an analysis is done of:
Comprehensive nutritional analysis
- Amino acids
3. Fatty acid test
4. Anti-oxidant test
5. Vitamin and Mineral level test
- Metabolism (ability to make ATP/energy)
- Adrenal stress and cortisol testing
- Environmental exposure (toxins, heavy metals, chemicals)
- Detoxification pathways and Methylation
- Hormone testing (PMS, Infertility, PCOS Menopause, Acne, Hair Loss)
- Advanced cardiovascular risk factors (clotting risk)
- Inflammatory Markers
- Blood sugar regulation
- Genetic testing
And more… Armed with this information, we will know exactly which issues that you are having problems with and we can address those issues with a protocol based on these results.
Here are some examples of how we use your lab tests to resolve health issues:
- For instance, because of the specific amino acids levels reported, we are able to prescribe a free form amino acid formula based on your amino acid test results. Correcting amino acids helps problems such as depression, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, and Fibromyalgia as well as hair, skin and nail problems. Amino acids are necessary for making structural proteins as well as for neurotransmitters and many other functions.
2. Depending on what lab test results show, we might also prescribe various “good fats” if these are low, antioxidants, minerals, detoxification nutrients, probiotics or prebiotics (which help the probiotics to implant and grow). This way of prescribing is very cost effective also. You only spend your money on products you actually need, not things that may not be necessary for you.
At Tarrytown Functional Medicine, we believe that anyone can improve their health through the choices they make every day. There are very few diseases that are purely genetic. There is a genetic component to every disease but most diseases stem from lifestyle and diet choices that do not allow for the optimal expression of your genes. Therefore, there are things you can do to maximize your wellbeing no matter what health challenge you have.
Treating this way gives us many “side benefits” instead of the “side effects” we see with drugs.
We focus on identifying imbalances that might be preventing you from feeling your best, and spotting risk factors that could cause illness in the future.